Join WAND and SNA-WI for the 2018 Legislative Advocacy Day
Registration is now available on the WAND Website by clicking here!
Wednesday, March 7, 2018
at the Madison Club
5 East Wilson Street
Madison, WI 53703
Advocating on behalf of RDNs, DTRs, and the people they serve at the State Capitol is critical, and SNA-WI urges you to join us for our annual day at the Capitol in Madison on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
Members who attend the event will have an opportunity to meet with their state legislators to discuss key nutrition policies, promote the benefits of the RDN and DTR professions, and discuss legislative priorities. Prior to the afternoon meetings with legislators, participating members will hear from high-level speakers, take part in issue briefings, and legislative advocacy training.
SNA-WI is pleased to be partnering with the Wisconsin Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (WAND). WAND and SNA-WI Members will be paired together to make legislative visits.
AGENDA *subject to change
Joint Legislative Advocacy Day Agenda
Wednesday, March 7, 2018
8:15 AM Check In, Networkingand Breakfast
8:50 AM Welcome
9:00 AM Legislative Advocacy Presentation
9:30 AM Representative Joan Ballweg (District 41)
9:45 AM Senator Lena Taylor (District 4)
10:00 AM PAC and Action Alert Presentation
10:15 AM Break
10:25 AM Issue Briefing
11:15 AM Legislative Meeting Preparation
11:30 AM Legislative Meeting Practice
11:40 AM Closing Remarks
11:45 AM Lunch
12:30 PM Depart for Capitol
1:00 PM Legislative Meetings (Rounds at 1:00 PM, 1:30 PM, 2:00 PM, 2:30 PM)
- Advocacy Day is a great opportunity to meet colleagues and discuss issues and ideas related to the school nutrition profession.
- Advocacy Day gives SNA members the chance to meet with their legislators and talk about nutrition policies and programs in schools.
- SNA’s Advocacy Day helps members strengthen our profession by connecting with lawmakers and discussing issues that are important to our profession.
- Attending Advocacy Day is an excellent chance for members to become more involved is our profession and make sure our voice is heard at the State Capitol.
- SNA and WAND join forces once a year to lobby legislators and advocate for policy to improve nutrition in schools.
- Attending Advocacy Day brings the school nutrition profession and our issues to the State Capitol through grassroots, member-driven lobbying.
Advocacy Day Logistics
- Our government affairs team and association management team handle all of the logistics to make the day smooth, efficient and a positive experience for those who attend!
- Advocacy Day begins in the morning and allows members to network with colleagues before getting into our sessions. There is coffee and a light breakfast included as well as a lunch before we go to the State Capitol as a group.
- After the group introduction and welcome, we will break into groups depending on region to meet with area legislators to make the greatest impact, meet up with colleagues from around the state and hear their challenges in School Nutrition and Dietetics, and how we can join forces to make Wisconsin a healthier place.
- Time is spent in the morning preparing for legislative meetings. This includes discussing and reviewing state issues (not federal), handouts and key points surrounding the topics that we will have with legislators. This includes a presentation from our government affairs team about effective advocacy and a tutorial on a typical legislative meeting.
- Our government affairs team escorts the group to the State Capitol and arranges a group photo to be taken upon arrival. Once the photo is taken, then smaller groups (2-4 people) go to their scheduled meetings.
- Our government affairs team arranges all the meetings, reserves a room for coats, assists at the Capitol as needed and works with SNA-WI Staff to provide all of the necessary documents and handouts.